Thursday, August 03, 2006

Tavano will have Geordies drowning their sorrows in a taverno!

I could not believe it. Really, I was surprised and prepared to back-track on my earlier, and constant, criticisms of small-mouthed Newcastle manager, Glenn Roeder. He succeeded in nicking Damien Duff from under Spurs' nose and at the bargain basement price of £5 million.
I am a massive fan of Scott Parker, Kieron Dyer and Emre so thought that Newcastle would look class in midfield. Granted the retirement of Shearer and Michael Owen's long-term injury have left them lighter than a Moldovan's bank account up-front so surely the great man would strengthen that department. Yes they have Shola Ameobi, a player who, to my mind, isn't all that great and Alberto Luque, who quite frankly has been an utter disgrace since turning up on Wearside for £9 and a bit million; but they needed more.
Well Roeder has found the striker to answer his questions: Francesco Tavano. Who he? And he will cost £7 million. Worth the risk? Well he has previously courted interested from Inter and Real amongst others but, in all honesty, I doubt it - let's look at the precedents of litte-known (at least to the British public) Italian strikers in England: Massimo Maccarone and Corrado Grabbi who cost £8.1 million and £6.75 million respectively.
Both failed miserably, although to be fair Maccarone is still at Boro and scored some important goals last year in McLaren's chuck four players up-front and cross your fingers UEFA Cup run.
So if I was a Geordie fan I would be sceptical. I don't want him to fail. I only think I really want PIG players to fail but the signs don't look good. With Spurs becoming the fifth best team in England it really should be Newcastle who complete the top six, so it may be a frustrating season for the Magpies.
They have also been linked with Marlon Harewood. So things could get worse...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?